CAB

Jennifer McMahon
Progress: 51 %

Sing You Home

Sing You Home - Jodi Picoult The synopsis on the back of the cover;

“Every life has a soundtrack. All you have to do is listen.
In the aftermath of a series of personal tragedies, Zoe throws herself into her career as a music therapist. When an unexpected friendship slowly blossoms into love, she makes plans for a new life, but to her shock and inevitable rage, some people—even those she loves and trusts most—don’t want that to happen.
Sing You Home is about identity, love, marriage, and parenthood. It’s about people wanting to do the right thing for the greater good, even as they work to fulfill their own personal desires and dreams. And it’s about what happens when the outside world brutally calls into question the very thing closest to our hearts: family.”

Review/Comments

What prompted me to buy this book was the premise of the story itself and the fact that a main stream author wrote a story dealing with LGBT issues.

There are three main characters, Zoe, Max, and Vanessa. The story is told from each of their perspectives but follows the main story of Zoe.
For most of Zoe and Max’s marriage they struggle with infertility issues and trying to have a child. Following the last miscarriage their marriage falls apart. As Zoe pieces her life back together she finds love in an unexpected place. Max on the other hand turns to alcohol and eventually finds religion in the form of a conservative Christian religious group. The story follows Zoe’s desire to start a family with her new spouse, Vanessa, and the ramifications of that from the point of view of each of the main protagonists.

There are a lot of stories in the news these days involving same-sex marriage, the proponents and opponents: the effects on the “traditional” family versus the rights of individuals. Jodi Picoult does a wonderful job of portraying both sides of the debate in a safe, engrossing story. There are certainly characters in this book that people will not like, depending on your perspective, but I believe that the way she strikes a chord with the reader also opens the door for some interesting discussions.

I haven’t gotten a full grasp of all the thoughts that are swirling around in my head as a result of reading this story. I know many of them were already swirling around but it’s as if some mental piece of my thoughts have broken loose and I need to get a handle on what that means. I’m sure I’ll get to that in the near future.