CAB

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
Jennifer McMahon
Progress: 51 %

Second Nature

Second Nature - Jacquelyn Mitchard This is the first book that I have read written by Jacquelyn Mitchard. I was in Barnes & Nobel and the cover art caught my attention. Then because I didn’t want to lug a book back to Switzerland I downloaded the electronic version of the story. Not having read anything of her’s before I did not realize that the Cappadora family who play a central role in this story have been key players in other storylines. I only discovered that after finishing this story. In hindsight I can say that not being familiar with the family did not have a negative impact on my understanding of the story or its flow.

Regardless of the title, I don’t think that I would classify this as a love story in the traditional sense; although, it could be construed that the story is a journey of self-discovery and love for the main character Sicily Coyne.

In an overly simplistic statement: Sicily is a burn victim whose face is horribly disfigured as a child who later in life has a face transplant. Some readers might be turned off by either of those two ideas but I have to say that the book handles the concepts beautifully. Mitchard gives the reader a good understanding of what is going on with Sicily without crossing over the line into horror movie graphic. For me personally the best part of the story is seeing how Sicily comes into her own as a woman and comes to terms with her own motivations.

The only thing I was not thrilled with was the ending, which seems to be left up to the reader to determine what happens next. Regardless I would recommend this as a good read.