CAB

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
Jennifer McMahon
Progress: 51 %

Shaken and Stirred

Shaken and Stirred - Joan Opyr I admit I originally judged this book by its cover and put it into my, maybe read, as a last resort, column. I don’t know why, I just didn’t like the cover. Why I would decide to reject a book solely on the cover makes no sense at all since I do 99% of my reading on my Kindle, but let’s face it, the cover art catches my eye, it makes me take a closer look at the book, and causes me to read the product description. Yes, it’s ultimately the description or someone’s recommendation that makes me buy a book but the artwork is what grabs my attention. It’s why I love book stores. I like walking through the aisles and seeing the cover art.

Fortunately for me, I’m part of an online book group and this is the book they are reading for February. I’m new to the group and I wanted to participate in a least some small way. So I sucked it up and bought the book. Well you know the adage; don’t judge a book by its cover; that couldn’t be any truer in this instance.

Shaken and Stirred is a quirky and fun novel. On more than one occasion I was laughing out loud and had to explain what I was laughing at. The novel is written in a way that tell’s Poppy’s story and relates childhood events to her current life situation.

When I first started reading the book I did find myself a little confused as the story worked it’s way back and forth between current day events and childhood memories but it didn’t take long for me as the reader to get into the flow of the story and how the author switched back and forth.
I don’t know that I would personally classify this as a romance novel, in my opinion this is a great fiction story and now I have another author I can stalk read.