CAB

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
Jennifer McMahon
Progress: 51 %

Whatever Gods May Be

Whatever Gods May Be - Sophia Kell Hagin I will admit that I judged this book by its’ cover. I’ve scrolled on by it numerous times over the last couple of years and my reaction was always, “hmmm no”. On occasion as I was scrolling by I may have read the book summary but I still wasn’t really interested. Granted, this is all subjective I couldn’t tell you what about the cover didn’t grab me, I just know that if I am in a store or online sometimes the cover itself grabs my attention and makes me pick up a book. Although, I think it’s the cover/title combination that usually grabs me.

Then a couple of weeks ago I got a coupon from Bella Books. Yes I know an entirely different publisher but what the heck they were cross selling and the coupon tipped me over the edge to try the book. I’m glad I did because the story itself was intriguing. I haven’t a clue why the last sentence in the book summary says “What she never expects is to win love.” That implies this is a romance novel. It really is not. At best the love Jamie finds appears to be deep friendship/familial love. So don’t get your hopes up.

We meet Jamie Gwynmorgan while she is on the bus heading towards basic training. This is a military/war based story. I haven’t a clue if the technology military descriptions are accurate or made up. It didn’t matter to me it’s just part of the story. We quickly learn that Jamie doesn’t give up, she’s always thinking ahead and how to get to the next step and above all how to keep herself and the people around her safe and alive.

There are a couple of things I found a little confusing in the story. We periodically hear about hear snippets throughout the story about her life growing up and “Alby”. It took me reading ¾ of the book to get a clue that Alby and her mother are one in the same. I also never understood the random hallucination or day dream of the white haired woman that Jamie would hear/see or how that added value to the story. For me the second ½ of the story was a better read and I almost wish it started at that point and took the ending out a bit further because relationships between Jamie and Senator Hillinger and Jamie and the Major General Ben Embry were interesting and I would have enjoyed finding out what happened next.