CAB

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
Jennifer McMahon
Progress: 51 %

Women Float

Women Float - Maureen Foley I find that sometimes novellas will leave me feeling unsatisfied as if there is unfinished business that was suddenly rushed to an end in an effort to complete the story. That is definitely not this case with Women Float.

The main character, Wen, is complex and comes across as three dimensional. In addition, despite her insecurities, and in some instances major flaws, I found myself wanting things to get better for her. Wanting her to improve and get her life in order.

There was one particular quote about a ¼ of the way through the book that just really stuck with me, because of the imagery it created for me. Wen is looking at an anonymous postcard that she received and she’s thinking to herself: “I want the postcard to be from Selima. Or my mom. Or Mia. Any of the countless women who’ve leaned their heads towards mine and told me huge important things, like how to separate egg yolks and whites and were to pick boysenberries.” I think if we have been lucky we all have people in our lives who have shared the secrets of life.

This is a nice easy read for the beach, sitting in the back yard, or in the house on a rainy day with a hot drink.