CAB

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel
Jennifer McMahon
Progress: 51 %

Give Me A Reason

Give Me A Reason - Lyn  Gardner Alright I admit it, I was a little skeptical about reading this book solely because the cover made me think “Ok here’s another romance” and I’m a little bored with the stereotypical romance, but I wanted to give Lyn Gardner a chance.

I do realize that there is some “angst” in the story but from my perspective this is primarily a romance. That being said, I really enjoyed this book, I read it while on vacation sitting on the beach. Sure the beach helped, but what really made the story enjoyable for me: the dialogue. There were several occasions where despite the material I found myself laughing out loud at some of the conversations that took place between Toni and Laura. What I think I appreciated the most was that the author did not “Americanize” the dialogue and I think the story was all the better for it. There are numerous instances of Scottish and English slang that make the story flow in a way that I don’t think would have felt as authentic or had been as amusing otherwise. It was also done in a way that the reader can easily discern the meaning. I also enjoyed the ending, it closes in a way that was satisfying and yet leaves an opportunity for more.